Monday, April 19, 2010

WTF is an Art Banana??!!



If you are here you probably have come across one of our pieces and are wondering more about them.Simply put an art banana is an art piece in the form of an artificial banana. Put in a more complex way, it is an unexpected art object that when found by the average person can't be denied at least a little bit of curiosity. This curiosity forms an experience for the person who has found the art object and therefore that person has experienced art. Human beings need creative experiences in order to thrive and be more than the sum of their parts, thus the art bananas provide a vital public service to the people that find them.
Maybe a business person is at a coffee shop for their morning coffee and over the edge of that nonesensical report they are reading they see a glint of color on the next table. Upon second glance the see an oddly engaging object with a tag that reads: ART BANANA (free). They have a secret moment of delight and tuck the banana away in their black attache and procede to work. When they get there they take the banana out of their bag and place it on their desk. It becomes a part of that persons life and with one whimsicle little object they are given an ongoing reminder that the world is so much more than reports and spreadsheets. Imagine a similar story with a construction worker, a school age child, someone who just got done visiting their psychiatrist, how would these people react to an object like this? Well, I hope to find stories like that as I distribute my art objects through out the world!

6 comments:

  1. I simply love this!! What gave you the idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not really sure how the idea popped into my head, I am sure it was really late at night at wal-mart where I saw the bananas to begin with. I am really interested in customizable vynil toys like Munny by kid robot, but I never can afford to get them so I am always on the look out for things that I could do art on that I can afford and are non-conventional. Also I am all about anything I can do as an artist that has an unexpected impact on people and I have been since I was a teen ager. I have always done things like flash mobs, security camera theatre, gorilla crochet, and art fliers so this is just an extension of that aspect of my work. Thanks for your interest and stay tuned because my first wave of them are about to be be distributed and there will be a lot of fun content about that, Also there will be opportunities to volunteer in the distribution of bananas in the near future if that is something you would be interested in. I know I am long winded, so I will quit rambling, but please let me know if you have nay more questions. artbananas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea, both from an artistic and a psychological viewpoint. I would love to find one of these. Best of luck and I'll keep my eyes 'peeled' for art banana's :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! the banana is a curious object that I'm sure will delight whomever finds one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to find one somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this...you're right...the world needs this. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete